Monday 28 March 2011

Project 2 Inspiration and Initial Ideas

I was reading about the background of processing and how the creators wanted a program that was simpler to use; like the days of building with legos when they were younger.


Photoshop and even processing a bit remind me of more complex versions of Kid Pix, which was an early bitmap drawing program aimed at kids. I remember spending a lot of time in computer classes when I was little just playing. The program was great; the tools were easy to use and the sounds were fun and appropriate. If you were done with your creation, you could blow it up using the dynamite eraser (very satisfying) and undo any actions with the "undo guy" who would say different things as you took step backwards. My favorite tool was one of the wacky brushes that created fireworks of rainbow colors that you could layer forever. The sound for this tool was a sparkly, twinkly sound. It looked cooler the more layers you added.

I want to create something that was as fun to use as Kid Pix. I don't want it to be overly complicated and I want the experience of the user to be a priority over interest or beauty. Inspired by my favorite tool I want to make something very colorful and easy to layer. With the mouse I want to create something with negative space. In my head I see the user being able to click and erase part of what they have done, but the eraser will be a shape, a stamp of sort. So I guess I just need to get sketching and figure out how to do this in processing.

No comments:

Post a Comment